Home > Learning Communities
Ignite invites first-year first-generation students to spark their academic, professional and personal growth by engaging in a sample of the vast opportunities available to TAMU students, discussing current topics with respect, and creating supportive friendships.
- Meet other first-generation students and build your network
- Talk with peer mentors about options and concerns
- Learn the ins and outs of campus life
- Explore how you will grow and gain the most at TAMU
- Consult staff experienced in first-generation student transitions
- Have fun and make friends
This opportunity includes professional staff support for your transition into the University and its culture, interaction with undergraduate mentors who are also first-generation students, social events to help you connect, and activities to ignite your love of learning and passion for continuing your education.
Ignite offers freshmen who are the first in their family to attend college the guidance and connection that they need to make their University experience successful. Ignite is a brand-new learning community at TAMU. Ignite does not require participants to have a specific scholarship. All majors are welcome.
- Apply to participate in Ignite with the attached form. Please be aware that you will be asked to complete two questions that are commonly required for learning communities. Consider writing out your answers before you start your housing application. These questions are
- What do you hope to gain from Ignite?
- How do you plan to contribute as an active participant in Ignite?
- Registration in a Ignite UGST 181 freshman seminar section each semester of the first year
- Participation in small group and large community meetings monthly
Photograph by Jakub Skafiriak used under Creative Commons license from Unsplash.com.